The author wanted me to create the cover for the second book in her series, so I had to carefully study the first book’s cover to match the style for branding purposes. This one proved to be slightly difficult because the story is supposed to be set in the 1960s. We needed to find a model who fit the image of the girl in the book, but was also wearing clothing that wouldn’t appear to be too modern.
I presented three concepts to the author and she liked the feel of the third concept. We went back-and-forth a lot on what the proper model should look like. I remember finding a girl with a decent sweater was important. Because the model’s hair wasn’t the right length, I ended up going through and digitally painting that in. There were a few things in the background that I also needed to remove in Photoshop so that it looked seamless. The final touch was finding a ruby necklace for the back cover of the paperback and straightening it out so it could be used as a proper divider.